Monday, February 21, 2011

Yams, Carrots & Squash...Oh My

Yum. Yams, Carrots, & Squash, oh my.

Today I cooked. For those of you that don't know me as well this was a notable occasion. Don't get too excited though. This was not for my own benefit, nor Sean's. It was for Bryce.

Let me just start off by saying that I never ever ever ever thought I would be making my own baby food (I mean, who does that and who has the time?) Well, I guess if you make time... It was a holiday today, so what do I do? I get out the big steamer from the basement (I might have used this twice in the past five years) and I steam away. I steam squash, carrots, yams, and pears.
After the steaming comes the 'puree'-ing. Yes, this is what people do-- puree baby food. There are even recipe books-- which I have.
HOLY COW. I'm exhausted. Even though this whole process only took me two hours, it was definitely a tedious task, one in which I am not sure I can keep up with. But, nonetheless, I have frozen baby food that should last for at least a couple of weeks.

So, yams for lunch. Bryce loved the yams. He ate them right up. He loved them so much they came right out 20 minutes later. They came out the opposite end and out of his diaper, up his back, into his hair and onto his elbows. And guess who else got it all over themselves?!?! Yup. Me. Yes, after I slaved for a couple hours (clean up took another hour), I got to clean up Bryce...and myself. Disgusting.

And then to top it on off, he is Mr. Fuss after all that. Apparently those yams did not set so well and we think this is why he's so upset today. Hopefully, tomorrow is a better day, and if not-- it's not my problem-- daycare! Ha!

Squash-- I put it in an ice cube tray and will freeze it until needed.

Steamer in action.

These are the yams. These were pretty easy too. The carrots were definitely the hardest because I had to use the food processor.

Yum. Yams.


No pictures of the incident that happened 20 minutes after this picture.

Off to more adventures in parenthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment