Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Checkered Flag, Here I Come!

Checkered Flag, Here I Come!

If I was keeping a baby book, that line would have glitter all over it.  A few days ago, Sean and I are standing near Bryce, putting on a shirt to start his day.  All of a sudden, in the midst of a singing/dancing silly rendition of a crazy two-year old being himself, he yells out 'Checkered Flag, Here I Come!'.  Of course, it took us a good 5-seconds of Sean and I looking at each other in a confused state until Sean realized what he had just said. 

In the now Reedy-household famous line, Bryce quoted Lightening McQueen, from the movie Cars.  This was not a line that is even emphasized in the movie (we had to watch it again-- I lost count on how many times now we have watched it-- to find exactly where McQeen caught little Bryce Martin Reedy's attention).

I have to say, that as he gets older each day, each day I miss his baby likeness, while cherishing the cute little boy (all boy) he has become.  He is soooo into cars, and trucks, and planes, and boats, and dinosaurs, and guitars, and legos, and sports balls, and golf clubs, and super heros.  It's a bit overwhelming when I think about it.  Gone are the days that he likes the cause-and-effect toys (ones that Ryan is just learning) or is interested in what is inside the cabinets.  Gone are the days when he ate Rudy's dog food.  Gone are the days when I could dress him without his opinion involved. 

As I reflect upon those days, I smile in anticipation of what is happening now, and what is to come.  He's learning to 'run fast' and he's learning to identify all the letters in the alphabet, and he's learning how put a golf ball, and he's learning how to catch a football (without flinching).  And, very important, he's learning how to hang on the monkey bars and how to swing on a swing by himself. 

With all these learnings, unbeknownst to him, Bryce has high expectations as an unintentional teacher.  Bryce will be teaching Ryan language.  As he is 'reading' his books, Ryan listens (yes, listens!).  Ryan will be learning a ton from her older brother as she begins her journey to language development.

That's all for now, more updates on Ryan next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment