Thursday, December 9, 2010

I must say I was thinking about some of my goals I set the other day-- post pregnancy goals. One of them was my breast feeding goal. When I told my OB/GYN that I planned to breast feed (BF) for three months, she was upbeat when she told me that I probably wouldn't and that I would probably give up before then. She said that people who goal set for three months usually wouldn't make it that long (I have a very straight-forward, no-nonsense type of physician). Anyhow, three months has come and gone, and guess what?!?! I'm still going strong...smile.

I will say that this is possibly the most annoying, toughest thing I have ever done. It seems like every time I turn around, I am nursing. And, on top of that, it's usually pumping. Bryce only gets the real thing once a day in the evening, otherwise he gets expressed breast milk. I have been able to keep up with Bryce (thanks to my 2am pumping sessions every night), but I must say I'm beginning to get a little tired of this routine. I think after the holidays I'll give up my 2am time, and risk getting less milk. I figure that we could eventually supplement with formula if necessary. However, it is definitely nice not to have to worry about the cost of formula, and pumping less would mean more sleep for mom!

Anyhow, I just thought I would share, because I'm pretty happy that I have been able to do this for so long. My work has been very accommodating with a nursing room where mothers can pump, equipped with a sink and fridge. I go down there three times during the work day to pump, so it's very accommodating.

We'll see if I can make it to six months...

1 comment:

  1. That is very impressive. Pumping is MUCH more difficult than straight breastfeeding. You don't have to worry so much about supply and demand, because it comes naturally. That's really great you can pump most of the time and still stay ahead of him! I've also know though, as you probably know, that even if you do supplement formula, you can still give him the "real thing" once a day still. Keep it up, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete