Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The First Day of SCHOOL!

Okay, so it's not really 'school' per say, but rather 'day care'. I guess these days everyone tries to steer clear of that term, 'day care', maybe it's because Dr. Laura S. has made us working mothers feel like such crap for giving our kids up for 5 eight-hour days a week and calling it 'school' makes us feel better because my 7.5week old comes home with a report card each day. So, 'school' it is. I digress...
Anyhow, Bryce started school this week. And I'm happy to report that he is SOOO well behaved. His teachers (yes plural) LOVE him. There are two teachers in his room of six infants. However, the well-behaved part ends as soon as we step foot into the parking lot. For the last two days, bloody murder is belted out in such a loud scream that it's made to sound like I'm taking him away from the best place on earth. Ugh. Needless to say, he's still adjusting, as the last two nights have been by far and away the worst two nights we have had since he was three weeks old. Oh well, he's still cute and if someone else can experience the cuteness that we got to see all during the first 7 weeks of his life, by all means I'm happy for them.
Speaking of adjusting, Sean and I are also adjusting. It was definitely a smart move for us (yay new parents) to take him a week before I actually go back to work. So, yes, I'm on vacation this week-- no kid to immediately tend to during the day :) It's so weird to put on make-up in peace and quiet again. The first day was a little rough-- funny because the teachers even said upon us leaving Bryce that morning that 'This looks a little tougher on dad than mom'. Let me just say that yes I have emotion, but I think Sean wears it on his sleeve a bit more (love him for that). Anyhow, we've been visiting Bryce each day at lunch time, which is fun because we get to see him at random and feel even better about our decision on this 'school' place as the teachers are wonderful and the gatekeepers are extreme Nazi-like, making sure no stranger enters the school. (Annoying but thankful for this.)
And yes, I do feel a bit guilty for not being the stay at home mom. Dropping a kid off for someone else to watch him does suck-- there's no denying that. But I do really like my job and company, despite the craziness most days. We have great medical and dental benefits-- as my mom put it 'unheard of' in terms of benefits. (Sean and I had a free baby-- not one single copay during the nine months of checkups and labor and delivery. Oh, and did I mention we don't have a deductible at all? And one more thing, it costs us a grand total of $6 per month for our medical and dental benefits. That's up $2 since we had Bryce.) So despite my feeling of guilty-ness, I think that we are doing the best for our baby boy and can only hope that his teachers and educators really do love him and will help teach him so that he's an average (or above average) student by the time he gets to kindergarten.
Speaking of kindergarten, I just found out that Bryce misses the cutoff date by a measly 12 hours. This means he'll turn six on Sept 2nd when he starts kindergarten, rather than turning five.. but the pros and cons of this should be kept for another post a little later in life.

The pic of the Goddard School. It was a beautiful day on Monday.

Proud dad :)



This is Bryce's crib. He's got a mobile and everything. We also have his blankie in there for him. He's a happy camper. Oh, and notice the jersey. He wore the Dallas Cowboy Emmit Smith jersey on Monday to root for the Cowboys in Monday night football vs the Giants. His efforts didn't really help. Poor Cowboys.

No comments:

Post a Comment