Saturday, October 23, 2010

First Smile: Success; First Playdate: Disaster

Look at one of Bryce's first smiles. It's hard to catch because he's not doing it consistently quite yet, but this was a day when he happy baby :)
We love our little monster and his green socks!


And, here's one of mom reading to him. And yes, he fell asleep.

As far as playdates go, today Bryce had his first official 'playdate' with an (almost) 9-month old girl, Madelyn. Her mom, Brook, is one of my colleagues at Cephalon. It wasn't quite the disaster that I make it out to be, but Bryce did manage to embarrass me just a little bit. (Will this be the future?). First, just as we arrive, he was hungry. Although I was expecting to feed him via a bottle while we were there, I didn't think he would throw a typical hissy fit quite so quickly. No big deal, I pulled out the bottle and he went to town. However, after his bottle I would have expected him to calm down and at least doze off for a bit. Nope, no such luck. We borrowed Maddie's bouncy seat, which helped, but he really wouldn't stop fussing. I felt bad because Brook was concerned because Maddie 'was never like that'. I explained to Brook that when Bryce is awake very rarely is he just cool, calm, and collected. He's more like a hell raiser. Yup-- hell raiser Bryce.
So, (I digress) finally, the worst part came when he started getting really really fussy, about 45minutes after his bottle. Brooke's husband actually picked him up and low and behold he stained the back of his pants with a big you know what. And yes, I was prepared-- but only partly. I had my diaper bag with all the essentials, even the boogie wipes. But guess what I didn't have-- any extra clothing. UGH! So poor guy had to loose his pants-- and he should have lost his onsie, but I didn't want him to come out naked with only a diaper on! (Remember the temp is only mid 60's here so some clothing is definitely necessary). I felt bad for Bryce and kind of like an idiot for not having a change of clothing. So note to self, never ever forget extra change of outfits again!
Other than that we had a great time and Brook made a great lunch for us, but hopefully next time won't be so traumatic.

1 comment:

  1. 1. I love that sweet little monster!
    2. Those socks are too cute.
    3. I think he looks like you in that second picture. Love that.
    4. Love the face he is making in the picture of both boys. So sad, but cute at the same time. :)
    5. Just wait (12 - 15 month-ish) until you are reading to him and he just gets up and walks away. Makes you feel real good.
    6. So happy you found a mommy to have play dates with!!

    ReplyDelete